The Government yesterday released a discussion paper inviting feedback on proposals to reform the Earthquake Commission Act in light of the lessons from Christchurch.
Submissions close on 11 September 2015.
Key reform proposals
- Remove EQC from contents insurance, leaving the field to private insurers.
- Increase the cap on EQC building cover from $100,000 to $200,000 + GST.
- Extend EQC building cover to include more site-works and access ways (along the lines of the private sector practice in commercial claims).
- Limit land cover to situations where rebuilding is not practicable.
- Require claimants to lodge their EQC claim with their private insurer.
The changes emerging from the review will be incorporated into legislation, which the Government hopes to introduce into Parliament early next year.