On May 2, 2012, the FCC released the procedures for the Mobility Fund Phase I Auction (Auction 901), which is currently scheduled for September 27, 2012. Among the key items contained in the document:
- Potential participants must submit short-form applications between June 27 and July 11, 2012 in order to participate in the action.
- The Auction itself will be held September 27, 2012 and conducted over the Internet via electronic bidding.
- Bidding will be conducted based on predefined Census tracts (i.e., aggregated census blocks). State-by-state lists of tracts and an interactive map are available at the Auction 901 website.
Winners must be prepared to cover 75% of road miles in each supported area with voice service and either 3G service within two years or 4G service within three years (whichever is applicable).
- In the procedures, the FCC established additional road categories, which now include primary roads, secondary roads, local and rural roads, vehicular trails, service drives, and private roads.
The auction will be conducted in a single round, and bidders will be required to submit sealed bids.
- Tribally-owned or Controlled Providers will receive a 25% reverse bidding credit for census blocks located within the boundaries of associated Tribal lands;
- Parties owing debts to the Commission will not be permitted to participate in the auction;
- The procedures also establish: (a) reporting and record retention requirements for winning parties, (b) letter of credit requirements; (c) penalties in case of default; and (d) tower collocation and roaming obligations.
A copy of the Public Notice is available here.
Recent FCC Updates
There have been several recent FCC updates: