On 1 October 2013:
- the adult rate increased by 12p to £6.31 an hour;
- the rate for 18-20 year-olds increased by 5p to £5.03 an hour;
- the rate for 16-17 year-olds increased by 4p to £3.72 an hour;
- the apprentice rate increased by 3p to £2.68 an hour; and
- the accommodation offset increased to £4.91 a day (or £34.37 a week).
The revised national minimum wage naming scheme also came into effect in October 2013. The scheme makes it simpler for the Government to "name and shame" employers who break the law by failing to pay the minimum wage. The maximum financial penalty for employers will also increase from £5,000 to £20,000 and this is expected to come into force sometime in February 2014.