A tip of the fedora to FOTTABlog Erik M. Pelton, who once again provides a report (here) on the latest meeting of the Trademark Public Advisory Committee (a/k/a TPAC). Note particularly the slides provided at the end of Erik's blog post.
Click here to view the image.
With regard to our favorite tribunal, TTAB Chief Administrative Trademark Judge Gerard Rogers reported the following:
- The latest TTAB pendency statistics were reviewed (see slides), showing that pendency times in general continue to decrease.
- New proceeding filings at the TTAB are up considerably in FY2016, including Notice of Opposition filings up 11%.
- New TTAB Judge Christopher Larkin begins work this week.
- The TTAB rulemaking package will be issued this month, with an effective date of January 14, 2017.
- The new rules will apply to all cases, with judges having discretion where needed in applying them to pre-existing cases.
- The new rules retain the Board processes considered significant by the Supreme Court last year in B&B Hardware.