New fees for F/M students, J exchange visitors and schools participating (or seeking to participate in the SEVIS system) went into effect on October 27, 2008. The new fees, which will fund program enhancements, are as follows:
- Foreign citizens applying to become F or M students or J exchange visitors will begin to pay the following SEVIS I-901 fee amounts:
- For schools petitioning for initial SEVP certification:
- Petition fees will increase from $230 to $1,700.
- Site visit fees will increase from $350 to $655 per campus.
- For schools that are already SEVP-certified:
- Petition fees for change of ownership will increase from $230 to $1,700.
- Site visit fees for addition of a campus will increase from $350 to $655.
- There is no fee for recertification.