The State Council of the PRC released a document on 11 September 2018, clarifying the role of the recently restructured National Medical Products Administration (“NMPA”) which is formerly named China National Drug Administration. NMPA will be responsible for:
- the supervision of quality and safety regarding medicines, medical devices and cosmetics;
- drafting regulations and national standards for medicines, medical devices and cosmetics;
- the registration of medicines, medical devices and cosmetics;
- the post-marketing risk control of medicines, medical devices and cosmetics; and
- the registration of licenced pharmacists, etc.
Some departments of the State Council of PRC have been reorganised since March 2018 (see our previous Law-Now article here). The responsibilities of China Food and Drug Administration (“CFDA”) are split into two new departments: the State Administration for Market Supervision will take the responsibilities related to food administration; other responsibilities will be transferred to NMPA.
To read the full text of the government publication (in Chinese only), please click here.