Following an update to the internal guidance for use by entry clearance staff on the handling of visa applications made outside the UK, the procedure for replacing a visa or leave outside the UK is now clearer.

If the applicant loses or has their passport, visa, or leave to remain stolen, this is not in fact a new application as previously implied, although the full fee is required The entry clearance officer will need to see a police report or other evidence that satisfactorily establishes that the passport is no longer in the applicant's possession. If required, the entry clearance officer may ask for supporting documentation to establish that the applicant's circumstances have not changed from when they were initially granted their visa or leave.

The guidance further clarifies that a new certificate of acceptance for studies or certificate of sponsorship is not necessary in an application to replace any leave granted under the points based system.