Evidently everyone does have an App, except me. OSHA's Heat Safety Tool App enables workers and supervisors to calculate the heat index for their worksite. Based on the heat index, the App displays a risk level to outdoor workers and access via a "click" to reminders about the protective measures that should be taken at that risk level to protect workers from heat-related illness-reminders. Remember that the industries most affected by heat-related illness include construction; trade, transportation and utilities; agriculture; building, grounds maintenance; landscaping services; and support activities for oil and gas operations.
OSHA encourages employers to establish a complete heat illness prevention program to prevent heat illness, and reminds employees to Water, Rest, Shade to prevent heat related illness and fatalities:
- Drink water every 15 minutes, even if you are not thirsty
- Rest in the shade to cool down
- Wear a hat and light-colored clothing
- Learn the signs of heat illness and what to do in an emergency
- Keep an eye on fellow workers
- "Easy does it" on your first days of work in the heat to enable yourself to get use to it
It also warns that every year, thousands of workers become sick from exposure to heat, and some even die. Exposure to heat can manifest as a heat rash, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke; heat stroke requires immediate medical attention and can result in death. These conditions are preventable ~ Water, Rest, Shade. Be safe!!!