The UK Government has announced the key themes of a new Digital Economy Bill.
Reflecting an alignment in several areas with the priorities of the EU’s Digital Single Market initiative, the Bill will have a number of areas of focus:
- A potential new universal right to 10Mbps broadband with the possibility of speeds increasing the future
- An overhaul of rules covering the physical roll-out of networks to make deployment easier
- Enhanced consumer rights to help improve the B2C broadband market
- Greater alignment of online and offline copyright laws
- Reform of the rules applying to government use of data to enhance effectiveness
- Enhanced protection from “nuisance” market emails and calls
- Age verification for use of digital services containing pornographic materials.
Whilst the new bill will make changes in a number of important areas, seen in the round it is likely to represent evolution rather than revolution.