U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recently reminded U.S. and Canadian citizens that on June 1, 2009, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will go into effect at land and sea ports of entry, requiring travelers—including U.S. and Canadian citizens—to present an approved travel document to enter the United States. The approved documents include:  

  • U.S. or Canadian passport
  • Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • U.S. passport card
  • State or province-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Birth certificate (for travelers under age 16 only)  

For travelers who have yet to obtain WHTI-compliant documents, a two-document option (such as a driver’s license and birth certificate) will be acceptable until June 1. Both today and after June 1, lawful permanent residents of the United States should present acceptable evidence of their lawful residence status when entering the country, such as a Permanent Resident Card (I-551).