Welcome to the October 2018 edition of Pensions Round-Up which provides an overview of developments in pension legislation, case law and regulatory guidance.
In this edition we look at key developments from October 2018 including the following.
- The Pensions Regulator: the publication of a joint regulatory strategy by the Regulator and the Financial Conduct Authority; two regulatory intervention reports; and updates to the Regulator's guidance on DC communications and on investment governance
- Pension Protection Fund: updated versions of the PPF's guidance on assumptions for section 143 and section 179 valuations; and an update on action that the PPF is taking in relation to the recent CJEU judgment about PPF compensation
- Case law: a High Court judgment on the issue of inequalities in the treatment of men and women arising from their Guaranteed Minimum Pensions.
- Budget 2018: announcements in relation to pensions in the Budget documents published on 29 October
- Legislation: the Government's response to the July consultation about a ban on cold calling in relation to pensions; and regulations in relation to cross-border activities and governance which are intended to implement aspects of the IORP II Directive
- Other news: the publication by HMRC of a countdown bulletin in relation to the end of contracting-out and a pension schemes newsletter; and the publication of a consultation about proposed changes to the Local Government Pension Scheme
On the Horizon: a timeline of some of the key future developments in pensions to help employers and trustees plan ahead.