This week ICE released two fact sheets relating to the issuance of driver’s licenses and cap gap extension functionality. The first sheet entitled, “Applying for a Driver’s License or State Identification Card” provides links to state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) websites and general guidelines for F, M, and J nonimmigrant visa holders on how they can obtain a diver’s license. The fact sheet also addresses the most commonly asked questions such as name discrepancies, documents needed, driver’s license refusals, and spouse/dependent eligibility. The ICE fact sheet is available at:

The second fact sheet, “Supplemental Guidance on the Cap-Gap Extension” provides general information on how students can receive interim cap-gap extensions when their Optional Practical Training or status ends before the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) receives their H-1B petition and has a chance to enter it into the CLAIMS system. The fact sheet instructs DSOs on when they should use extension functionality and provides various scenarios of when it would be inappropriate. The ICE fact sheet is available at: