On 22 February 2017, S.I. 2017/83 – The Export Control (North Korea Sanctions and Iran, Ivory Coast and Syria Amendment) Order 2017 came into effect. This Order provides for the enforcement of trade restrictions against North Korea specified in Regulation (EC) No 329/2007 concerning restrictive measures against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (the “North Korea Regulation”) as last amended by Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2017/80. This Order revokes the Export Control (North Korea and Ivory Coast Sanctions and Syria Amendment) Order 2013 (S.I. 2013/3182).
- Articles 5 to 12 create offences for contravention of the trade restrictions in the North Korea Regulation.
- Article 13 creates offences for the circumvention of the trade restrictions in the North Korea Regulation.
- Article 14 supplements the provisions of the North Korea Regulation that allow a competent authority to authorise activities that are otherwise prohibited. Article 14(1) makes it an offence knowingly and recklessly to provide false information for the purpose of obtaining an authorisation and article 8(3) makes it an offence to fail to comply with authorisation requirements or conditions.
- Article 15 sets out the penalties relating to the offences in the Order.
- Article 16 applies the ancillary provisions relevant to the enforcement of customs and excise legislation to the enforcement of this Order.
- Article 17 omits Ivory Coast from the list in Part 2 of Schedule 4 to the Export Control Order 2008 (S.I. 2008/3231) and inserts it into the list in Part 4 of Schedule 4 to that Order, reflecting the fact that the Ivory Coast is no longer an embargoed destination.
- Article 18 makes a minor amendment to the Export Control (Iran Sanctions) Order 2016 (S.I. 2016/503).
- Article 19 makes a minor amendment to the Export Control (Syria Sanctions) Order 2013 (S.I. 2013/2012). This amendment, along with the amendment to the Export Control Order 2008 in article 17(b)(ii), re-enacts and therefore continues the amendments that were contained in the Export Control (North Korea and Ivory Coast Sanctions and Syria Amendment) Order 2013, which is revoked by this Order.