Intellectual Ventures I LLC v. AT&T Mobility, LLC, et al., C.A. Nos. 13-1668 – LPS; 13-1669-LPS; 13-1670-LPS; 13-1671-LPS; 13-1672-LPS; 14-1229-LPS; 14-1230-LPS; 14-1231-LPS; 14-1232-LPS; 14-1233-LPS, August 12, 2016.
Stark, C. J. Claim construction opinion issues regarding seventeen terms from five patents. A Markman hearing took place on April 4, 2016.
The disputed technology relates to cell phone communication technology. The following terms were considered:
- “identifying changes in signal drop-out characteristics”
- “encoding packets into packet blocks”
- “encoder for combining and varying the number of packets transmitted in each of the packet blocks”
- “frequency hopping”
- “a structure for allocating ones of baseband outputs from a digital channelizer to ones o logical inputs of digital signal processors and allocating ones of baseband inputs of a digital combiner to ones of logical outputs of said digital signal processors according to said mapping signal”
- “allocating resources”/ “allocating bandwidth resource” / “allocates resources”
- “application aware resource allocator at the MAC layer” / “application-aware media access control (MAC) layer”
- “a module operative to recognize an application type of said software application associated with IP flow” / “ identifying means for identifying an application type of a software application associated with an IP flow”
- “allocating means for allocating resources to said IP flow…so as to optimize end user application IP QoS requirement of said software application”
- “allocating a proportion of said total number of data packets to a number of the tiers of service to allow individual packet data queues on a number of tires to share a communication resource”
- “means for allocating a tier of service for each of a plurality of individual packet data queues, wherein the means for allocating allocates different weights to each tier of service based on a number of user requiring access to the available communication resource”
- “means for determining a total number of data packets that can use a n available communication resource”
- “Scheduling means to provide said communication resource to queued packet data users on a tier-by-tier basis, such that said resource is made available to all users”
- “means ... for allocating a proportion of said total number of data packets to a number of the users of service to allow individual packet data queues on a number of tiers to share a communication resource"
- “primary preamble sufficient to enable radio operations”
- “an autocorrelation having a large correlation peak with respect to side lobes; a cross or relation with other primary preambles having small cross-correlation coefficient with respect to power of other primary preambles; and small peak-to average ratio; and wherein a large number of primary preamble sequences exhibit the properties”
- “wherein the core-band is substantially centered at an operation center frequency