Discover and learn the immigration visa process for entry into the country of beautiful Canada. It varies depending on the reason for your visit.  

The Canadian immigrant visa process varies depending on what country you come from and whether your status is a student, refugee, tourist or business traveler. Here’s an outline of some of the requirements to ensure that you’ve got the right papers when traveling to Canada.

Students at Canadian Colleges

For the most part, foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Aspiring Canadian students need to have a letter of acceptance from a designated school to apply for a student permit. Students can apply online or at the Visa Application Centre. Once the visa office receives your application, you may be required to provide a medical examination report. Processing times range from about eight to 10 weeks. Those who get their study permit after August 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA (electronic travel authorization) along with their permit.

Business Travelers to Canada

Depending on what country you’re coming from, business travelers to Canada may need an eTA or a visa. For example, business travelers from Jordan will need a visa. Business travelers who need an eTA can apply online but must have passport information and a valid credit card. The only exceptions to an eTA are American citizens and visitors with a valid visa. However, U.S. citizens and those with a valid visa are also required to carry proof of citizenship, such as birth certificate or passport.

Tourists to See the Sights of Canada

Like the immigrant visa process for business travelers, the immigrant visa process for tourists varies. U.S. citizens visiting Canada are not required to have an eTA or a visa. Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada as a tourist will need an eTA. This includes British citizens. However, it is not required when a British citizen travels to Canada by land or sea.