IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Starting Friday, the Chinese Embassy in Sweden will require that visa applicants in Stockholm and Gothenburg provide biometrics and submit a new online form.
What does the change mean? Applicants will be required to appear in person at a pre-booked appointment to have their fingerprints scanned and collected at the Chinese Visa Application Service Centers in the two cities. The biometric scans must be renewed every five years.
- Implementation time frame: Dec. 1.
- Visas/permits affected: All Chinese visas.
- Who is affected: Applicants ages 14 to 70 applying for Chinese visas in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
- Business impact: Employees and assignees applying for visas should be aware of the additional requirement.
- Next steps: Applicants must submit scanned fingerprints and fill out an online form at www.visaforchina.org.
BAL Analysis: Applicants should prepare for the additional steps and anticipate that Chinese embassies in other locations are likely to implement biometric visas as they have rapidly gained popularity in recent years.