A brief summary of changes coming into force in December of which you should be aware.
- Shared parental leave regulations come into effect on 1 December 2014 and will apply to those whose expected week of childbirth begins on or after 5 April 2015.
- Employees will be prevented from taking paternity leave if they have already taken shared parental leave for the same child.
- Amendments will be made to the right to return after paternity or adoption leave as a result of shared parental leave regulations.
- The new Fit for Work scheme is expected to start being rolled out some time in December.
- Update on commencement of Section 56 of the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998:
In earlier briefings, we have reported that the Government was planning to bring section 56 of the Data Protection Act 1998 into force on 1 December 2014. This section prevents employers from requiring people to use their subject access rights under the DPA to obtain and then provide certain records, eg criminal records, as a condition of employment. It has now been announced that there will be a delay to the proposed date for commencement of S56. No new date has been announced yet.