Senate Legislative Activity
The Senate will convene on Monday, September 26, at 3:00pm. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R.5325, the legislative vehicle for the short-term continuing resolution (CR). There will be no roll call votes on Monday.
The filing deadline for 1st degree amendments to the substitute and underlying bill is 4:00pm today; the 2nd degree amendment filing deadline is set for 12:00pm on Tuesday, September 27.
Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has already offered substitute amendment #5082 (text of short-term CR), filled the amendment tree, and filed cloture on the substitute and the underlying bill. The cloture vote on the substitute amendment will be on Tuesday, September 27, at 2:15pm. Under the rules, if cloture is invoked there would then be up to 30 hours of debate followed by a vote on the amendment; if cloture is not invoked, the cloture motion on the underlying bill would immediately ripen.
House Legislative Activity
On Monday, September 26, the House will meet at 12:00pm for morning hour and at 2:00pm for legislative business, with votes postponed until 6:30pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspense on of the rules:
- H.R. 1877 – Mental Health First Aid Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 3537 – Dangerous Synthetic Drug Control Act of 2016;
- H.R. 3779 – To restrict the inclusion of social security account numbers on documents sent by mail by the Federal Government, and for other purposes;
- H.R. 5883 – Clarification of Treatment of Electronic Sales of Livestock Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 845 – National Forest Trails Stewardship Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5943 – Transit Security Grant Program Flexibility Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5460 – First Responder Access to Innovative Technologies Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5459 – Cyber Preparedness Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 5346 – Securing our Agriculture and Food Act, as amended;
- House Amendment to S. 2754 – To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Fannin Street in Shreveport, Louisiana, as the “Tom Stagg Federal Building and United States Courthouse”, as amended;
- H.R. 5873 – To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 511 East San Antonio Avenue in El Paso, Texas, as the “R.E. Thomason Federal Building and United States Courthouse”;
- H.R. 5978 – Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Amendments Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 5162 – Vet Connect Act of 2016;
- H.R. 5392 – No Veterans Crisis Line Call Should Go Unanswered Act;
- H.R. 5509 – To name the Department of Veterans Affairs temporary lodging facility in Indianapolis, Indiana, as the “Dr. Otis Bowen Veteran House”; and
- H.R. 3216 – VET Act
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday September 27-29, the House will meet at 10:00am for morning hour and at 12:00pm for legislative business. On Friday, September 30, the House will meet at 9:00am for legislative business, with last votes expected by 3:00pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspension of the rules:
- S. 1698 – Treatment of Certain Payments in Eugenics Compensation Act;
- H.R. 5065 – Bottles and Breastfeeding Equipment Screening Act, as amended; and
- H.R. 5391 – Gains in Global Nuclear Detection Architecture Act, as amended
The House will also consider:
- H.R. 5303 – Water Resources Development Act of 2016, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule); and
- Legislation Related to Continuing FY16 Appropriations
The House may also consider additional legislative items.