- What are the most effective ways for a European patent holder whose rights cover your jurisdiction to enforce its rights in your jurisdiction?
France is known for its very effective seizure procedure (saisie-contrefaçon), which allows patent holders to request, in ex parte proceedings, a seizure action at the defendant’s place of business and any other place where the allegedly infringing products may be found or where the allegedly infringing process is carried on. The court generally authorises:
- the seizure of samples of the allegedly infringing products;
- a description of the allegedly infringing acts;
- photographs of the products or machines; and
- the seizure of any relevant documents (eg, invoices, orders and accounting documents).