On 1 July 2014, the OHS Amendment Regulations commenced making a number of changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007.
The Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA) stated that the amending Regulations aim to improve the workability of the principal Regulations and reduce compliance costs for business without reducing safety standards.
According to the amending Regulations, the objectives are to:
- remove the requirement to register items of plant;
- add two items to the plant design registration Schedule;
- remove certain administrative requirements;
- permit duty holders to comply with the third, fourth and fifth editions of the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals published by the United Nations;
- increase the threshold before certain principal contractors' duties apply, in relation to construction projects; and
- make other minor amendments.