Click here to listen to the audio.
In this episode of the Troutman Sanders Battery & Storage Podcast partners Cliff Sikora and Bill Derasmo interview Hon. Philip D. Moeller, Executive Vice President Edison Electric Institute (“EEI”).
The episode covers:
- Commissioner Moeller’s dedication to the values of public service (4:15)
- the importance of relationships and courtesy in Washington, DC (5:44)
- his view of industry restructuring while at FERC (9:00) partisanship (15:40)
- EEI’s position on how batteries should be classified as either transmission or distribution, and the launch of Order No. 841 (17:28)
- approval of FERC’s direction (even with no state opt-out) (18:58)
- understanding of differences in regional system peaks (19:29)
- batteries are the ultimate “utility infielder;” and require flexibility in regulatory oversight (20:01)
- view on FERC’s transmission’s NOI and the future of CAPEX deployment and RTO planning (21:35)
- the success of MISO’s MVP projects (24:00)
- ownership of batteries and control of functionality, microgrids (27:37)
- electric vehicles (34:03)
- non-discrimination requirements for storage access to markets (28:45)
- and environmental justice (29:12)