IOSCO has met to discuss and respond to the many ongoing and emerging challenges facing global securities markets. Participants talked about recent market developments and volatility in world capital markets and the challenges and opportunities posed by FinTech, particularly blockchain technology. Members went on to discuss the implications for global securities markets of slowing economic growth, declining commodity prices, continuing low or negative interest rates and market volatility. Work endorsed on technological changes included:
- further research on FinTech subsectors including blockchain;
- further work on the use and regulation of automated advice tools in securities markets and understanding the risks arising from the use of cloud technology;
- discussion of a report on IOSCO’s work addressing the challenges of cyber risk;
- updates on the work of the Growth and Emerging Markets Committee on digitisation and FinTech; and
- discussion of IOSCO’s contributions to work on G20 green finance initiatives and infrastructure financing in the context of the Chinese G20 Presidency.