Members of the Ohio House’s 21st Century Manufacturing Task Force have been conducting hearings around the state the past two months to facilitate discussion and interaction between Ohio’s manufacturing community, public policymakers and interested parties regarding the state of manufacturing in Ohio and what can be done to improve Ohio’s manufacturing competitiveness in the 21st century. The hearings, which are scheduled at select manufacturing facilities around the state, have included tours of the facilities for the legislators followed by a public hearing with presentations from specific industry representatives. To date two hearings have taken place: at The Timken Company in Canton (steel, ceramics, shale gas and paints and coatings) and at Owens-Illinois in Perrysburg (glass, metal forming, appliance and advanced energy industries). The task force has also heard presentations regarding energy reliability, electricity regulation and business taxation.
Members of the task force include: Representatives Kirk Schuring (R-Canton), chair; Ross McGregor (R-Springfield), vice chair; Christina Hagan (R‐Alliance); Anne Gonzales (R‐Westerville); Barbara Sears (R‐Monclova Twp.); Denise Driehaus (D‐Cincinnati); Jack Cera (D‐Bellaire); Sean O’Brien (D‐Brookfield); and Nickie Antonio (D‐Lakewood).
Upcoming hearings include:
- Thursday, October 11, at Pentaflex (Springfield)
- Thursday, October 18, at Dupont (Circleville)
- Thursday, November 15, at Worthington Industries (Columbus)
- Friday, December 7, in Cincinnati, place to be determined
- Wednesday, December 12, at the Ohio Statehouse (Columbus) for open testimony
- Cleveland, at a date and place to be determined.