Senator Michaelia Cash announced today the introduction of the new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL). Senator Cash states that the purpose of the PMSOL is to allow individuals who have been sponsored for roles under this list to return to Australia with the aim of ‘supercharging both our health and economic response to COVID-19’.
Practically, this means that whoever falls under this list will be allowed entry to Australia despite the current travel ban for most non-citizens or permanent residents. A separate travel exemption application will still need to be submitted with the Australian Border Force.
If an employer intends on sponsoring an employee for one of these occupations, there are additional labour market testing requirements. Instead of advertising on two platforms, a third advertisement must be placed on the JobActive website.
Seventeen occupations fall under this list. They are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
Hall & Wilcox has noticed those sponsored under this list are having their applications approved much quicker than others. We are able to assist with preparing travel exemption requests and the visa applications.
We will continue to bring you updates as they appear.