Three Queensland peak industry bodies have collaborated to produce the 2018 Queensland Major Projects Pipeline. The joint initiative by the Queensland Major Contractors Association, Construction Skills Queensland and Infrastructure Association of Queensland found that Queensland is coming out of the downturn following the end of the mining boom. The report highlights increasing levels of construction activity and major project work: a 58% growth in major project work with a similar forecast for 2018/2019. However, it cautions that this upsurge in activity cannot be sustained in the future without careful selection of viable infrastructure projects and alternative financing and funding solutions to meet infrastructure priorities.
Key findings of the report include:
- 190 projects identified in the 2018 pipeline with a combined expenditure of $39.9 billion;
- investment in road, rail, electricity and telecom sectors is driving Queensland's upsurge in major project work;
- lower levels of privately funded infrastructure investment compared with previous years;
- strong growth prospects for Northern Queensland's major infrastructure activity; and
- Southern states still outperform Queensland in infrastructure funding and delivery.