As a reminder, the NYC law prohibiting employers and their agents from inquiring about or relying on an applicant’s salary history goes into effect today.
This means that as of today, employers cannot:
- Ask for current salary or salary history on an employment application;
- Ask about an applicant’s current or past salary (including wages, benefits, and other compensation);
- Ask an applicant’s current or former employer or a staffing or recruiting agency for information related to an applicant’s current or past salary;
- Search public records or the internet to find or verify an applicant’s current or past salary;
- Rely on information about an applicant’s current or prior salary to set compensation.