A brief reminder of the two main changes to employment law as of 1 October.
Firstly, the national minimum wage rates increase.
The new rates as of 1 October will be as follows (existing rates in brackets):-
- over-20s: £6.08 (£5.93)
- 18-20 year-olds: £4.98 (£4.92)
- 16-17 year-olds: £3.68 (£3.64)
- apprentices: £2.60 (£2.50)
Apprentice rate applies to apprentices under 19 or 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship.
Secondly, the Agency Workers Regulations come into force.
There are three key rights which Agency Workers will enjoy as of 1 October:-
- right to same basic employment conditions after 12 weeks (including pay);
- right to collective amenities and facilities (e.g. staff canteen, creche, gym);
- right to access to employment (i.e. right to be advised of any relevant posts).
Both the recruitment agency and the end user (i.e. the hirer) can be liable depending on the claim.
The Government’s guidance can be accessed here:-