The USCIS recently issued a memo confirming that the regulations governing B-1/B-2 (visitor) status prohibit study in the United States while an individual is in the country in a visitor status. The USCIS reminds such visitors who wish to enroll in school to first acquire F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status. A visitor in valid B-1/B-2 status may request a change of status to F-1 or M-1, provided that the individual's status has not expired and the individual has not yet enrolled in classes and has not engaged in unauthorized employment. If an applicant has already enrolled in classes, or has otherwise violated his or her status, he or she must return to the home country and apply for an F-1 or M-1 student visa at the appropriate consulate.