The status of the LABOR LAW REFORM process is as follows:
- The Senate did not endorse or recommended any of the 4 bill initiatives presented in the regular legislative term.
- Until the end of the ordinary period, at the end of April, because there was not enough consensus to support any of the bills. The bill presented by Tereso Medina and Isaías González (PRI) carried the most weight but was unable to garner enough support to be passed into law, the Senate considered that it would open a period of "consultation" to go over such bills.
- At the Labor’s Day celebration, on May 1st, in the Presidential residence, it was absolutely clear that, given it is an election year and the lack of political will to support labor reform, any bill will be studied and voted on by the new Congress that will be elected next July and that will begin sessions starting on September 1st.
- It would be a true "miracle" that between September 1st and December 31st of the current year, which will be the first regular session of the next newly elected legislature, a preferred initiative could be presented by President Peña Nieto as a means to fast-track the labor reform bill into law. Personally, I do not believe it possible because it depends on who will be elected president and the partisan integration of congress. A very similar situation took place when Enrique Peña Nieto was president-elect and outgoing President in the lame-duck period, Felipe Calderón, pushed through the Labor Reform of November 2012 using the newly created preferential initiative.
- It is noteworthy that, as published in the Official Gazette of the Federation of May 11, 2018, the Plenary of the Council of the Judicial Branch issued a general agreement creating of a special administrative unit for the implementation of the Labor Reform, as per constitutional amendments of February 2017. This ensures that, finally, the Federal Judicial Branch had no choice but to accept that they will be responsible for the justice administration of federal labor disputes. Therefore, in this agreement, this unit must study all regulatory, technological, budgetary and training assistance for that purpose.
- Consistent with the above, all the houses of judicial culture, entities responsible for training magistrates, judges and court officers in the judicial system, from now on, will actively implement courses on labor justice issues, in fact, our firm has already been asked to prepare and deliver training for such purposes.