The fine followed a joint prosecution with Omnichem, following an incident in July 2006 when Omnichem employee John Marriott died after being exposed to a toxic cloud of gas at a Walkers plant. Mr Marriot was delivering chemicals to the plant when he mixed the hoses on the tanks, causing the chemicals to come into contact and produce a cloud of toxic fumes. The chemicals were used in the starch reclamation unit, which turns waste starch into material which is used to make snacks. Upon noticing his mistake, Mr Marriott began to hose the site down but was unable to complete this task as a result of his exposure. He was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with damage to his lungs, but his condition deteriorated and he passed away one month later. A Walkers employee who had tried to assist Mr Marriott spent 30 hours in hospital himself after suffering with breathing difficulties. The HSE’s investigation highlighted the lack in procedures at the Walkers plant, with no clear evacuation procedure, inadequate written procedures for the delivery of chemicals and insufficient labelling on the chemical tanks. Both companies pleaded guilty to breaching section 2(1) and section 3(1) of the HSWA. In setting the fines, reference was made to the Sentencing Guidelines for work fatalities, with Walkers fined £200k with £38,971 costs and Omnichem fined £150k with £29,229 costs.