Two workers were forced to flee a Glasgow warehouse owned by a leading whisky manufacturer as fire spread through the premises. The men were filling casks at the top levels of the buildings when a hose relaxed and released the liquid towards a ceiling light fitting, igniting a fire which subsequently spread across the roof.

A HSE investigation found that the aisle lights in the warehouse should not have been used in such a flammable atmosphere and their risk as a source of ignition would have been identified had they been checked.

Edrington Group Limited was fined £40,000 after pleading guilty to section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.