On 27 April 2018, the Belgian Competition Authority issued a document setting out its policy priorities for the current year. This document, which has existed since 2014, explains how the Authority selects its formal investigations and describes its strategic and sectoral priorities for competition policy.
In line with the priority areas identified in previous years, the Authority intends to continue its actions in the following areas:
- the telecommunications sector;
- the retail sector and its relations with suppliers;
- services to undertakings and consumers;
- the pharmaceutical sector;
- public procurement; and
- logistics services at ports.
As for the types of infringement prioritized, the Belgian Competition Authority will seek the right balance between obvious hardcore infringements and more complex or innovative cases.