Michael Billings admitted seven charges following a joint prosecution by the HSE and the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service following a fi re at his property. A fi re broke out in the early hours of 14 April 2009, and spread quickly with resulting temperatures of 600 degrees, causing his 19 year old tenant, Layla Skalli, to sustain severe injuries with 80% deep tissue burns all over her body. Mr Billings had failed to have even basic fi re safety equipment at the property, with no working fi re alarm, inadequate fi re doors, and an inadequate means of escape. Miss Skalli was trapped in the fl at, as the sash window could only open four inches, and the staircase was encased in thick black smoke. Firefi ghters had to break into the property with a battering ram via the window and when Miss Skalli was carried out, the heat from her body was so intense that the fi refi ghter’s arms were starting to burn through his tunic. Other tenants had escaped by climbing down a drainpipe. Despite having only a 1% chance of survival, Miss Skalli was saved by pioneering skin grafting treatment. In view of the severe nature of Miss Skalli’s injuries, the case was initially treated as potential manslaughter, with a multi-agency approach undertaken by the enforcement agencies, with assistance from Norfolk Police, HSE, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and Norwich City Council. The exact cause of the fi re was not established. Mr Billings was charged by the HSE with three breaches of Section 3(2) of the HSWA 1974 and breach of Regulation 36(3) (a) Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service charged him with nine counts of breaching Regulation 32(1)(a) Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. In addition to the two and a half year sentence, Mr Billings was ordered to pay £20k costs with the sentence to be reviewed if he paid £20k to Miss Skalli as a show of remorse. The judge also made an award of £400 from the public purse to the passer by who saw the fi re and raised the alarm.