A number of Congressional committees have held hearings recently on health policy issues, including the following:
- An Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee hearing on breast cancer prevention, research, treatment, and quality of care legislation (H.R. 995, H.R. 1691, H.R. 1740, and H.R. 2279).
- House Oversight and Government Committee hearings on Medicaid pediatric dental services and the Administration's flu vaccine program.
- A Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee hearing on the Department of Veterans’ Affairs contracts for health services.
- Senate Aging Committee hearings on how successful health systems keep costs low and quality high, and the cost of federal long-term care insurance.
- A Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on "Prohibiting Price Fixing and Other Anticompetitive Conduct in the Health Insurance Industry," focusing on legislation to repeal a federal antitrust exemption for health insurance and medical malpractice insurance companies.
In addition, several hearings are scheduled for October 15. The Senate Small Business Committee is holding a hearing on "Sensible Health Care Solutions for America's Small Businesses." The Senate HELP Committee will examine health care equality for women. The Energy and Commerce Oversight Subcommittee is holding a hearing on the problem of underinsurance.