On January 5, 2011, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS") issued a revised version of its Handbook for Employers - Instructions for Completing Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form). Links to English and Spanish versions of the Handbook can be found on the USCIS website.
The Handbook provides wide-ranging information regarding various I-9 related issues, including:
- Circumstances in which an employer must complete a Form I-9
- Information that an employer must include in a Form I-9
- Employer record-keeping requirements
- Unlawful discrimination and retaliation related to citizenship/immigration status, national origin or the I-9 process
- I-9 compliance by employers who use E-Verify
- Other issues that may arise during the compliance process
Employers are encouraged to carefully review the new Handbook.