On May 31, 2023, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced the launch of category-based selection for economic skilled workers under the Express Entry program. Category-based selection will allow IRCC to issue invitations to apply to prospective permanent residents with specific skills, training or language ability.
Starting as soon as summer 2023, category-based selection invitations will focus on candidates who have:
- A strong French language proficiency: must have French-language test results showing at least CLB 7 in all four skill areas;
- Work experience in the following priority occupations:
- Health care
- Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions
- Trades, such as carpenters, plumbers and contractors
- Agriculture and agri-food
Candidates in the selected priority occupations must have six months of continuous work experience in the past three years in Canada or abroad in an applicable occupation.