The Council of the EU has announced that the following legislation reforming the EU supervisory framework was adopted at a meeting of the Economic and Financial Affairs Council (ECOFIN) on 17 November 2010:
- Regulation on EU macroprudential oversight of the financial system and establishing a European Systemic Risk Board (ESRB).
- Regulation establishing a European Banking Authority (EBA).
- Regulation establishing a European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA).
- Regulation establishing a European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA).
- Directive amending Directives 1998/26/EC, 2002/87/EC, 2003/6/EC, 2003/41/EC, 2003/71/EC, 2004/39/EC, 2004/109/EC, 2005/60/EC, 2006/48/EC, 2006/49/EC, 2009/65/EC in respect of the powers of the EBA, the EIOPA and the ESMA (known as the Omnibus I Directive).
- Regulation conferring specific tasks on the European Central Bank (ECB) concerning the functioning of the ESRB.
The new EU supervisory system will operate from 1 January 2011.
For more information on reform of the EU financial supervisory framework.