If you are going to operate a business in Nevada and either play background music or allow live entertainers to play cover songs, you will want to check on licensing with the proper music artist/songwriter organizations, such as ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers), SESAC, or BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.). These organizations have undertaken copyright infringement actions against bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc., for any unauthorized (i.e., without a license) play of music registered with their organizations. Registration is usually handled through payment of an annual license fee determined by the organization.

Please note that each of these organizations have their own catalog of work, so an establishment may need to register with all three organizations.