After many years of discussion and speculation, the new Condominium Act is finally here! The majority of the amendments to the Act and the new regulations under the Act are coming into force today, November 1st 2017.
The Minister of Government and Consumer Services has released an Order enacting new forms under the Act. The forms are now available on the Government’s website in French and in English. Specifically, the new forms include:
- the Periodic Information Certificate;
- the Information Certificate Update;
- the New Owner Information Certificate;
- the Notice of Online Posting of Information Certificate;
- the Notice of Meeting of Owners under s. 34(5) of the Condominium Act;
- the Preliminary Notice of Meeting of Owners;
- the Notice Relating to Record of Owners;
- the Notice Relating to Record of Mortgagees;
- the Agreement to Receive Notices Electronically;
- the Submission to Include Material in the Notice of Meeting of Owners;
- the Notice of Meeting of Owners;
- the Proxy Form;
- the Request for Records;
- the Board’s Response to Request for Records; and
- the Waiver by Requester of Records.
This series of new forms will make it a lot easier for condominium corporations and owners to comply with the new requirements of the Act.
Please note that not all new requirements are mandatory as of today and that the regulation provides for transition periods. For instance, the new procedure to call a meeting of owners only applies if the meeting is held on or before December 11, 2017 and the board has not sent any notice with respect to the meeting before November 1, 2017.
Ready or not, the new Condominium Act is here! For more information, please read our previous blogs on the changes to the Act.