The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 main focus has been in respect of their requirement in HIPs. However, the regulations also include requirements that:-

  • EPCs are to be provided when new residential properties are built.
  • EPCs are to be provided when commercial properties over 50m2 are sold or let and upon construction of commercial premises. Display Energy Certificates (“DECs”) will also be required where relevant.
  • DECs will be required in buildings with a total floor area of over 1,000m2 occupied by public authorities and institutions providing public services to a large number of persons and which are frequently visited by the public.
  • EPCs must be provided where all residential or commercial properties are sold or rented out.
  • Air conditioning – any persons “with control over the operation of an air conditioning system exceeding 12kw of output” must ensure that it is inspected by an energy assessor at least every five years. First inspection must have occurred by January 2011.