To meet patient demand, the prevalence of physician extenders continues to grow along with their scope of practice. Effective May 20, 2014, Ohio law now permits physician assistants, certified nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, and certified nurse-midwives to admit patients to hospitals. Previously, only licensed physicians, podiatrists and dentists with medical staff privileges were permitted to admit a patient to a hospital.
Ohio physicians, physician extenders and hospitals need to carefully review and update standard care arrangements or supervision agreements, medical staff privileges and hospital policies in order to incorporate these latest changes to Ohio law.
An Ohio licensed physician assistant may now admit a patient to a hospital so long as three conditions are met:
- The physician assistant is listed on a State Medical Board approved supervision agreement with the doctor or podiatrist who is a member of the hospital's medical staff;
- The patient will be under the medical supervision of the supervising doctor or podiatrist; and
- The hospital has granted the physician assistant admitting privileges and appropriate credentials.
Similar to physician assistants, Ohio advance practice nurses are now authorized to admit patients to hospitals if three conditions are met:
- The certified nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, or certified nurse-midwife has a standard care arrangement with a collaborating doctor or podiatrist who is a member of the medical staff;
- The patient will be under the medical supervision of the collaborating doctor or podiatrist; and
- The hospital has granted the clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner admitting privileges and appropriate credentials.
In addition to satisfying the aforementioned conditions, Ohio physician assistants, certified nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, and certified nurse-midwives must notify their supervising or collaborating physician or podiatrist of the planned admission prior to admittance. Further, it should be noted that not all advance practice nurses are permitted to admit patients under the amendments, as certified registered nurse anesthetists are excluded from admitting patients to hospitals.