Colombian nationality at birth
The Colombian Constitutional Court has determined that a foreign national who holds any visa (e.g. work visa or business visa) is considered to be "domiciled" in Colombia. This means that a child born in Colombia to foreign national parents who possess Colombian visas is considered to be a Colombian national.
Special work visa for certain French nationals
As part of a reciprocity agreement with France, Colombia extended to French nationals the possibility of obtaining a TP-16 visa, which allows them to work in Colombia for up to one year. This visa may be issued without either a labor relationship or a visa sponsor in Colombia. TP-16 visa issuance is subject to the following conditions:
- The visa applicant should be between the age of 18 and 30.
- The visa applicant may not travel to Colombia with dependents.
- The validity of this visa is for up to one year.
- This visa may not be renewed nor extended.
- For changing immigration status, the TP-16 visa holder should request a new visa through a Colombian consulate abroad.
- The TP-16 visa should be filed for through a Colombian consulate abroad.