On February 9, 2018, the Ministry of Energy (“SENER”) published in the Official Federal Gazette the “Guidelines for Interconnection of Power Plants and Connection of Load Centers” (Manual para la Interconexión de Centrales Eléctricas y Conexión de Centros de Carga). The Guidelines establish the procedures applicable to the National Energy Control Center (“CENACE”) for the interconnection and connection applications in its different modalities, as well as the procedures for power plant interconnection and connection of load centers to the National Transmission Network and the General Distribution Network. The Guidelines apply principles based on efficiency, transparency, and objectivity to guarantee non-discriminatory open access to the National Transmission Network. This is an important development for market participants involved in electric power generation, transmission or distribution.
The purposes of these Guidelines are to accomplish the following:
- Establish the process for registration, monitoring, terms and conditions, responsible authorities, and cost of the interconnection studies and amounts of the financial guaranties related to the applications for interconnection of power plants and connection to load centers
- Determine the infrastructure studies necessary for the interconnection of power plants and connection to load centers
- Describe the criteria and mechanisms to establish the granting, return, extension, and execution of the financial guaranties as well as the execution process for interconnection agreements
- Establish the procedure for interconnection of power plants and connection of load centers to the National Transmission Network and the General Distribution Networks
- Describe the necessary actions to commence the operation of power plants and load centers