In 2016 the Competition Authority received 33 merger control notifications and issued 28 decisions. Out of the notifications:
- 23 were approved;
- one was suspended at the request of the parties to the transaction; and
- the remaining were transferred to 2017 for assessment and decisions.
Out of the 28 cleared concentrations:
- one was a joint venture;
- 27 concerned acquisition of control;
- seven were implemented in Montenegro;
- 21 were extraterritorial;
- 17 were horizontal;
- two were vertical;
- nine were conglomerate.
Most of the concentrations were in the telecommunications, media and pharmaceutical sectors.
There was a slight decrease of approximately 6% in the number of merger control notifications submitted in 2016 in comparison to 2015.
Further, the authority issued:
- 13 opinions on the implementation of competition regulations at the request of the parties;
- one individual exemption decision exempting a restrictive agreement in the pharmaceutical sector;
- two decisions relating to the abuse of dominance:
- one relating to imposing unjustified high prices in the water supply sector; and
- one involving abuse of dominant position in the port services market; and
- three decisions concerning restrictive agreements:
- one in the insurance sector;
- one in public procurement for x-ray films; and
- one in shoe production and sale.
The authority conducted the first dawn raid in early 2017.
During 2016, the authority conducted inquiries in the following sectors:
- water supply;
- the provision of pilotage services within the Bay of Kotor;
- construction materials;
- insurance; and
In 2016 the authority imposed no procedural penalties. After delivering an infringement decision in the case relating to public procurement for x-ray films, the authority referred the case to the court to determine the fine.
For further information on this topic please contact Srdjana Petronijevic at Moravcevic Vojnovic i Partneri in cooperation with Schoenherr by telephone (+381 11 320 26 00) or email (email@example.com). The Moravcevic Vojnovic i Partneri website can be accessed atwww.schoenherr.rs.
This article was first published by the International Law Office, a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide. Register for a free subscription.