The PTAB has released its September 2017 statistics. These statistics mark the end of the USPTO's 2017 fiscal year (the USPTO’s fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30 of each year). A total of 1,901 IPR petitions were filed in FY2017, with the following break-down by technology area:
· 1,122 petitions (59%) were filed in the electrical/computer technology area,
· 417 petitions (22%) were filed in the mechanical and business method technology area,
· 221 petitions (11%) were filed in the bio/pharma technology area,
· 127 petitions (7%) were filed in the chemical technology area, and
· 14 petitions (1%) were filed for design patents.
The PTAB’s full statistical report can be found at (https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Trial_Stats_2017-09-30.pdf).