CLG has launched a consultation on proposals for changes to planning appeal procedures in England. The proposals are intended to make the process faster and more transparent, improve consistency and certainty in decision taking timescales.
The proposed changes relate to:
- Earlier submission and notification of appeal statements.
- Agreeing common ground upfront.
- Starting hearings and inquiries sooner.
- Introducing an expedited Commercial Appeals Service.
- Exploring opportunities for aligning other planning-related appeal processes.
- Issuing one guide to planning appeal procedures.
The consultation closes on 13 December 2012. A copy of the consultation document is available at: http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/reviewappealconsultation