The rules governing HIPAA have been significantly amended requiring substantive changes to current HIPAA polices and procedures.
Changes in the new rules that affect your health care entity include:
- Breach Notification Requirements regarding unauthorized disclosures of Protected Health
- Information (PHI)
- Business Associate Agreements
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- The Sale of PHI
- Limitations on the use of PHI for marketing and fundraising activities
- Expanded rights of individuals to restrict disclosure of PHI
- Expanded rights of individuals regarding how they receive their PHI
The new rules also provide for increased fines and penalties for HIPAA violations. In addition, HIPAA violations may also lead to civil suits for breach of confidentially as well as reputational harm to your health care entity. Therefore, it is imperative that you are prepared to meet the compliance deadline.