A consumer safety lawyer has welcomed efforts by the parents of a woman who suffered an allergic reaction to nuts to raise greater awareness of severe allergies.
On Monday 21 August nut allergy sufferer Amy Shead and her parents appeared on ITV’s This Morning programme. Amy used to work as a producer on the show before she suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction to a meal from a restaurant while on holiday in Budapest in 2014.
The allergic reaction left Amy in a coma resulting in brain-damage and she is now wheelchair bound. Her parents told the show that Amy had informed the restaurant manager and the chef of her severe allergy and was reassured it would be fine but despite this she suffered a near-fatal anaphylactic reaction only after only one bite of her meal.
Earlier this month it was reported that a young Australian boy had suffered anaphylaxis, due to a severe allergic reaction to nuts, on a flight to Melbourne after passengers were eating bags of nuts near to him.
Amy’s parents are now fighting for allergies to be taken more seriously and the presenters of This Morning, Ruth Langsford and Eamon Holmes, vowed to help support their fight, including the campaign to make all airlines nut-free.
“It is crucial that all businesses who serve food take allergies seriously. This is even more important on airlines where there is no way for a person with a severe allergy to escape the allergen.
“It is encouraging to see this issue being raised in the media by Amy Shead and her parents and I hope this will prompt food outlets to ensure they adhere to guidelines that are in place regarding allergens.
“The consequences of allergic reactions can be devastating and those with allergies should be able to expect that their condition will be taken seriously by those that provide their food, such as airlines and eateries, and that the food they eat is safe and will not cause them harm.”