The City of Markham recently released their highly anticipated Draft New City-wide Official Plan. The Draft New Official Plan was prepared to implement recent provincial and regional policies including the Greenbelt Plan, the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe and the York Region Official Plan.
As a follow-up to the release, the City of Markham has scheduled a Statutory Public Meeting (7 pm) preceded by an Open House (6 pm – 7 pm) on Tuesday, November 6, 2012, at the Markham Civic Centre where the public can learn more and provide comment on the Draft New Official Plan.
Only those who make an oral submission at a Public Meeting or provide written submissions to Council prior to the adoption of the New Official Plan can appeal it to the Ontario Municipal Board. Therefore, it is important to understand how the New Official Plan could affect your property and to make your concerns known.
Highlights of the Draft New Official Plan include proposed policies:
- Guiding growth and employment to 2031 (421,600 population; 240,400 jobs);
- Directing growth to identified centres and corridors (located along the rapid transit network) and allowing for limited expansion of the urban area boundary;
- Establishing new parkland dedication rates for residential development (amount of land to be conveyed to be a minimum of 5 percent but not to exceed the rate of 1.2 hectares per 1,000 people);
- Introducing requirements applicable to zoning by-law amendments to permit the establishment of drive-through service facilities; and
- Requiring pre-consultation meetings for all development applications (a development application will be deemed incomplete if submitted prior to a pre-consultation meeting).