On March 4, 2009, USCIS announced that working in close partnership with the FBI, the backlog for FBI name checks pending more than six months has been eliminated. This is the fourth milestone met by the agency as part of its joint plan with the FBI to completely eliminate the backlog of pending name checks.  

USCIS and FBI are on schedule to meet the next two goals: all name checks requests pending longer than 90 days to be completed by May 30, 2009, and, by the end of June 2009, the FBI will complete 98 percent of USCIS name check requests within 30 days and process the remaining 2 percent within three months. USCIS and the FBI will continue to focus on sustaining a rigorous and efficient screening of each name check request.